TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - That "muffler" looking thing is called a throttle suction
People Seeking Info

Subject That "muffler" looking thing is called a throttle suction

Posted by Ash's Z on August 15, 2014 at 12:54 PM
  This message has been viewed 414 times.

In Reply To AC Questions posted by Carlos Ramirez on August 15, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Message valve and it was once the bane of my day many years ago.

It is designed to "throttle" the flow of refrigerant so as to prevent the core from freezing up. Most cars simply cycle the compressor to maintain proper core temperature but our cars use that pneumatic device to regulate refrigerant flow.

I gutted the TSV on my original Z because it simply didn't want to work properly. I thought it was due to the fact it was for R12 and I was putting R134a in the system and they operate at different pressures.

However, my current Z still has the TSV in it and it came with R12 originally so either that was swapped out at some point before I got it or there was something wrong with the one in my old car (although I disassembled it and checked its operation and the valve moved freely). IDK.

I know this isn't specific to your questions per-se, but in short, there isn't an easy way to flush from the evaporator out along the low pressure line without removing the TSV first.

If you do have issues afterwards with it not getting cold in the car but the low pressure line is getting cold, the TSV is your problem.

When I've recharged my systems in the past, I've always just hit them with a can of R134a that has a 4oz oil charge in it after pulling the system down and then fill the system with just R134a from there. Never had any problems doing it this way.

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the
tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.